Q. What kind of computer do I need in order to use QUILS?
QUILS is a web-based screener with animations and videos.
Your tablet should meet our minimum requirements for the screener to operate smoothly:
- Apple iPads should be running iOS 10 or higher and have at least 2 GB of RAM. Users must use the Safari browser.
- Android tablets should be running OS 6 (Marshmallow) or higher, have at least 2 GB of RAM, and have a screen size of 8″ or larger. Users must use the Chrome browser.
A touchscreen is highly recommended. Your laptop or desktop should meet the following minimum system requirements:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0GHz (minimum)
Memory: At least 4 GB RAM
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (with the latest patches and updates)
Memory: At least 6 GB RAM
Operating System: Should support macOS Sierra (Version 10.12.6) or higher
Memory: At least 4 GB RAM
Operating System: Chrome OS updated with the latest patches
If you are unsure about the compatibility of your device, please feel free to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. What operating system do I need to have?
A. If you’re planning to use an iPad, you must use one capable of running iOS 10 or higher and have at least 2 GB of RAM. If your device is an Android, it should support OS 6 or higher, have at least 2 GB of RAM, and have a screen size of 8″ or larger.
Q. What browser should I use?
A. You will need to use the latest version of your browser. Be sure to clear your cached data in your browser before using the screener for the first time; if you are unsure of how to do this, refer to our Technical Requirements section of the FAQs on the QUILS website. We advise against using Internet Explorer as it can cause a variety of functionality issues, including interference with the audio in the screener and issues with how the website displays. Supported browsers are:
- iPad tablets: Only Apple Safari is supported
- Android tablets: Only Google Chrome is supported
- Windows-based laptops and desktop computers: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are supported
- Mac laptops and desktop computer: Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox are supported
Q. Do I need to use a touchscreen in order to screen students with the QUILS?
A. No, it’s not required, but we highly recommend it. The QUILS was normed on a sample using touchscreen devices, so touchscreen devices are the preferred method of delivery. Part of the ease and appeal of the QUILS is that many students are familiar with touchscreens from very young ages. Because students are used to playing games on touchscreen devices, the QUILS delivery format is easy for them to grasp and may seem like just another fun game. If a touchscreen device is not available, we do provide information in the User’s Manual about how to complete the screener with a mouse and standard monitor.
Q. May I use a smartphone to administer QUILS?
A. Even though the QUILS website may be accessible from your phone, the screen is too small for reliable administration of QUILS. The developers advise against attempting to screen from a device this small.
Q. How fast does my internet need to be to run the QUILS?
A. An internet connection with at least 10–15 Mbps download speed and at least 5 Mbps upload speed is required. Need to check your internet speed at your screening location? You can check using a speed test found here: http://speedtest.xfinity.com or here: http://beta.speedtest.net.
Q. My internet isn’t fast enough. What can I do?
There are several things you can do to improve your internet speed.
- Move closer to your router. If you are far away, or if there are several walls between you and your router, the speed can be diminished.
- Use a Wi-Fi extender, which will strengthen your internet at your location.
- Use a router or hotspot that provides at least 10–15 Mbps download and at least 5Mbps upload speed.
- Choose a time of low usage. If someone else is streaming videos or engaging in other high-bandwidth activities, your internet may be slow.
- Have your IT staff prioritize streaming for internet usage activities. IT departments may prioritize different uses for a school or program’s internet. As QUILS contains animations and videos, ensure that your IT group is not deprioritizing streaming as this could negatively affect your screening.
Q. Can I restore information I delete by mistake?
A. QUILS is not able to restore data you delete by mistake as you input or edit data or text onscreen. If you delete an in-progress screening, we recommend that you re-screen the student as soon as possible. If you delete information from within the Student Record, you will need to manually re-enter the information. In more complex situations, please contact Technical Support through the Help page of the QUILS website.
Q. Do I need to manually save screening data?
A. No. The tool automatically saves which question the student is on as he or she progresses through the screener. After the screener is complete, the data are automatically saved.
Q. How often will my data be backed up?
A. Your data will be backed up daily on the system’s server.
Q. How do I know my data are protected in the QUILS system?
A. The server is firewall protected and is monitored 24/7. The server security and system logs are reviewed regularly, and the software is maintained with the latest security updates.
Q. Will my personal firewall software interfere with my use of QUILS?
A. There are no unusual firewall features or setting requirements for QUILS that would cause a firewall to interfere with your access. If you believe software installed on your computer is preventing you from accessing the website, we suggest including the URL “www.quilscreener.com” as an exception to any pop-up blocking rules the software allows you to set. If you experience a problem using QUILS, consult the documentation of your firewall software for the correct settings.